Twinkle at Orleston Church, Kent

Twinkle at Orleston Church, Kent
Twinkle at Orleston Church, Kent

Thursday 9 May 2024

Sittingbourne, Murston and Bapchild

 Now, having spent some of my childhood in Sittingbourne, I knew not to expect much - and I was right. 

It was never a posh place, existing mostly because of its brickmaking industry, and to serve the Thames Barges putting into the quays along Milton Creek and the Swale.

Hard on those trades, came Kemsley paper mills  - which was started and owned by a distant relative. All this means that the town had a working ethos

So I didn't expect too much in the way of interesting history, other than that which exists because of my family. So you will have to excuse my odd reminiscences of the place, but it might give you a little insight into how the town used to be.

I 'm about to put it all on the Kent2 page, together with a little bit of Murston, and an even smaller bit about Bapchild, two small suburbs of the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment