Of course, this huge system of inland waterways, rivers and lakes (Broads) is what Norfolk is most famed for. And rightly so.
Arthur George Stammers arrived at The Angel in 1913 with his wife Grace Rebecca. He was the son of Henry and Elizabeth Stammers who were then the licensees of The Dolphin at Harling Road station (now cottages). Previously in 1883 Henry had been the licensee of Bridgham Red Lion. Leased by Steward and Patteson the tenancy of the Angel was to last until the death of Arthur's wife in 1949. He then went into retirement.
It would be later on in 1983 his Grandson Brian Stammers would take over the tenancy with his wife Geraldine. By 1994 ownership of The Angel had been passed from Norwich Brewery to Control Securities. It was in that year it was sold to Brian, Geraldine and son Andrew, where ownership remains to this day.
The County City of Norfolk, Norwich is a beautiful city, with much to interest both the sightseer and the shopper. There's a strange juxtaposition of ancient and modern, which could so very easily have degenerated into a higgledy-piggedly mess, but the planners have been very careful to surround important buildings, both old and new, with wide open spaces that simply enhance the appearance and visibility of the multitude of architectural styles.
Norwich has two cathedrals, and the spire of the Anglican one towers over the city, as does the square fortress of the Castle.
Throughout the city, the river Wensum winds its' way around, and much care has been taken to develop interest along its' banks.
Just opposite the point where this picture was taken, is a new development of entertainment complexes (cinema, bowling alley) and eating houses, and this development lies directly between the Carrow Road home of Norwich City Football Club, and the railway station.
Norwich is also home to one of the largest permanent street markets in the country, with over 200 covered stalls, set in a fine square, bordered by the new Forum library and arts centre, the ancient St. Peter Mancroft church, the Royal Arcade and the Lanes, and this, the Guildhall