Willesborough is a residential suburb, on the eastern side of Ashford, in the county of Kent.
The South Willesborough Dykes area, on the west bank of the River East Stour, is an area of sheep fields drained by dykes. The area is designated as the South Willesborough Dykes Site of Nature Conservation Interest (SNCI). The dykes continue on the east side of the River East Stour and among the residential areas, and a tributary stream (Aylesford Stream) runs between Newtown and South Willesborough and into the East Stour. The smallest ditches dry up completely in summer.
The South Willesborough Dykes are important in terms of the geology of the area, being in the river floodplain and in supporting neutral, wet grassland species, along with Willesborough's Aylesford Green and Boys Hall forming part of the Ashford Green Corridor, although public access is otherwise limited
Boys Hall was built by Thomas Boys in 1616. Its grounds are part of Ashford Green Corridor while the manor house is now an hotel.
The suburb is known for its 1869 windmill near Hythe Road, and St Mary's Church on Church Road, which has one of the oldest ringing bells in Kent.
There is a reference that Pope Clement V in 1075 supplied chrism oil to the church at a cost of 7p per annum. However, it is thought that the church may date from Saxon times when a Saxon, in the time of King Alfred called Æthelfurth, left land of Willesborough to the Abbey of St Augustine.
The church remained in the possession of Augustine’s Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries when it was settled on the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The west wall of the south aisle is thought to be an example of very precious early Saxon masonry.
The base of the church tower is dated 13th century with a fine shafted west doorway and lancet window on the southern side. There is a ringing chamber and eight bells in the tower with a Victorian clock above (with two external clock faces) which chimes the hours and quarters. There are medieval scratched sundials on the inside of the south door to the porch which were used by the clergy to determine the time for matins.
In the south chapel - once
built as a chantry, is a huge memorial to a Victorian grandee with wonderful
mutton chop beard! The chantry was restored in 1868 when a new high Victorian
style memorial in marble featuring the bearded and moustached face of Charles
Warton was installed.
No comments:
Post a Comment