Domesday Book, A.D. 1087, Hiham ; 1 100, Iham, Ihamme, North Hiham ; 1262, Norgiam ; 1288, Northyamme ; 1538, Northyam; 1580, Nordiham ; 1653, Norsham ; 1695, Nordium, Norgem. It is one of the many churches in Sussex and Kent set on high places," and it is possible, and even probable, that it took the place of a wooden Saxon church built on the site of an earlier pagan shrine, a holy stone, or a holy well.
There are few tales of ghosts
in the village despite its great age, but former organist Mr Holdstock had two
strange experiences while practising in the church. He heard men’s voices in
the vestry though he knew no-one was there and the outer door was locked; and
on another occasion when he was playing there came the strong fragrance of arum
lilies, though there were no flowers to account for the heady scent.
The parish church of St Mary is
notable primarily for the Frewen family chapel, with its variety of
wall-mounted Victorian monuments. There are also a pair of early Tudor memorial
brasses set into the chancel floor.
The first mention of a church
at Northiam comes from the 11th century, though it seems almost certain that
there was an earlier church on this ridge-top spot. It seems that the church
was granted by Robert of Eu, brother of William the Conqueror, to St Mary-in-the-Castle
at Hastings.
Smirke built the very large
Frewen Chapel, which rises above the family mausoleum. The exterior of the
chapel is lined with heraldic shields, and the interior with an intriguing
collection of funeral hatchments and monuments to generations of the family,
who still reside in Northiam.
the Frewen Mausoleum was
built in 1846 against the north side of the church. The Frewen family’s
association with Northiam goes back to the Elizabethan era when the family
settled there having arrived from Worcestershire.
The mausoleum was built to
the order of Thomas Frewen Turner in memory of his wife who died in 1844. Until
1978 the mausoleum remained separated from the church, the only entrance being
by way of the west door.
There are nine carved stone shields and banners along the west and east walls and gargoyles along the parapet. Internally, the mausoleum roof has curved timbers and decorative bosses with heraldic designs. Around the walls are a wealth of monuments to members of the Frewen family, including Thomas Frewen (d.1870) and his wife Helen Louisa.
He was appointed chief of staff to the commander-in-chief, Home Fleet, in 1959 and then became Flag Officer Second in Command Far East Fleet in 1961. He went on to be Vice Chief of the Naval Staff in 1963 and commander-in-chief, Home Fleet, in 1965. He was then appointed Commander-in-Chief, Portsmouth, in 1967. Finally he was appointed the first Commander-in-Chief Naval Home Command (following the merger of the Portsmouth and Plymouth Commands) in 1969. In that capacity he welcomed Sir Alec Rose back to Portsmouth after his single-handed trip around the world. Frewen was also First and Principal Naval Aide-de-Camp to the Queen from 1968 to 1970. He retired in 1970.
In retirement Frewen transferred Brickwall House School, a specialist school for boys with dyslexia, into an educational trust, which, after his death, was renamed by his cousin and godson Jonathan Frewen as Frewen College. In 1972 he was Chairman of the Royal Navy Club of 1765 & 1785 (United 1889).
The north window of the mausoleum has glass contemporary with construction of
the building. The design is of heraldic shields with banners below the
cinquefoil heads of the two rows of four lights.
Behind the altar is a very
nice set of 17th-century wooden panels, the gift of Thankful Frewen. There are
two Tudor brasses in the chancel floor, one to Robert Beuford (d. 1518), the
other to a member of the Tufton family (d 1538). These brasses are not easily
accessible, but rubbings made from the brasses are displayed on the rear wall
along with small fragments of other surviving brasses.
Communion table: (Formerly) 1638, with bulbous legs and bearing the
initials of Thankful Frewen. It was stolen in the 1990s.
Royal Arms: (West wall). Painted panel, of Queen Anne, dated
1713.
Elizabeth I stopped here
years ago, on one of her royal progresses. On 11 August 1573, she had a picnic
on the village green, under the shade of the time-battered oak. The oak tree
still stands on the green, now held upright with supports.
The centre of Northiam is
built around a green with weather-boarded houses, which are reminiscent of
nearby Kent.
The village’s water supply was always a headache. Farthings, a late 16th century home reputed to be the first house in the village to have a bath, was where the locals were allowed to take a bucket of water from the pond next to the house by the owner, on payment of a farthing. The name Farthing Pond appears on some of the early maps.
A survey in 1876 revealed that 69 dwellings relied on wells for their water, 44 on pumps, nine on spring water and six on ponds. Twenty years later it was reported that several houses were without any water supply at all. Some had to bring their drinking water from Stawberry Hole while water for washing was fetched in ‘bodges’ from the pond at Higham at a rate of 6d a bodge. In 1932 piped water arrived in Northiam but it was not until 1958 that it was supplied throughout the village.
Frewen College is based at Brickwall House, a 17th century country house and estate, which was home to the Frewen family, for over three hundred years. Brickwall House, really? Well, look at it! Actually, it is a Jacobean house that takes its name from the high walls that enclose its grounds.
Not even the Frewen family
vaults at the church were sacred when it came to storing contraband and it was
also established that children were daring each other to run down among the
coffins. The entrance was bricked up to put an end to these affronts.
John Frewen, a sturdy puritan who became rector in 1558, baptised his first two sons Accepted and Thankful, perhaps in recognition of his appointment.
No comments:
Post a Comment